For years now we have been told that playgrounds need to be made safer to prevent broken bones, concussions and even death. Now, it looks like from this article, “Have Kids Playgrounds become too Safe?”, experts are maintaining that maybe they are too safe. The fact that there are no thrills and spills on kids playgrounds are said to be taking all of the fun and adventure out of them, making children abandon them for videogames and television. Can this be true?
In my opinion, yes it is true. Children have no sense of adventure anymore. Don’t get me wrong, I agree with 99% of the safety measures in place on our children’s playgrounds but the other 1% needs to be let up on. Let them have some fun. I have been known to be a helicopter parent myself at times…okay, make that most of the time. But even I realize that they have to have some sense of danger to make playing fun. Maybe a compromise should be reached when it comes to playgrounds. After all we played outside in the woods and nothing ever happened to us.
As a society we need to be careful with our childrens safety but we also need to relearn how to let them be kids.