SIDS has long been a concern for new parents. The unexpected disease kills many infants yearly under the age of one. Great strides are being made in the effort to reduce the number of SIDS cases, and parent awareness has been raised in past years.
- Many hospitals across the nation work together to inform new parents of the very real danger of SIDS. You can read more about these efforts in, “Hospital Honors SIDS Awareness Month By Distributing Onesies.”
- “In Memory Of Mason,” is a heartbreaking story of a 5-month old that died of SIDS. His mother is coping by starting a non-profit organization to help families and to raise awareness.
- Recent studies show that bumper pads in cribs may be a cause of suffocation among infants. Doctors urge you to remove them from your cribs in, “Get Bumpers Out Of Cribs, Doctor Groups Urge.”
- The annual “Safe Sleep Sabbath,” is coming up on Oct. 14, to try and increase awareness for pregnant women of the very real danger of SIDS.
- “Choosing A Safe Crib,” is important not only because of the ever present danger of SIDS, but also because safety guidelines have changed on cribs in recent years, to avoid lead in paint and, other safety concerns.
- Finally, we took a hard look at “How To Prevent SIDS From Striking.” SIDS awareness has increased greatly over the last few years, but we have to be vigilant in order to stamp out this dreaded condition.